Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Transformations

Transformation is a word that has been in my vocabulary a lot over the past week.  Normally the word transformation makes me think of caterpillars turning into butterflies, shows like The Biggest Loser, or leaves changing.  But, over the past week I’ve been painting our kitchen cabinets in an attempt to “transform” our kitchen.  As I have been spending time sanding and painting these cabinets, I have seen a visual transformation take place.  It’s a project that is happening in stages.  First cabinets, then flooring…we plan to add an island and some new lighting.  I’ve got 3 doors and 3 drawer fronts left to paint.  There were 14 doors and 12 drawer fronts to paint.  It’s been a HUGE project.  I will post before and after pictures once the project is complete.  I can give some pretty good tips if anyone is thinking of tackling a similar task.

John and I moved into our house 8 years ago.  I haven’t lived in the same place that long since I was 12.  When we moved in, we spent time transforming the house into our own style.  We did a lot of painting and updates.  However, things got put on hold when we added Elliot and Sydney to our family.  Now they are both in school.  No more toddlers to keep out of wet paint.  All of a sudden everything needs repainted and the updates we did 8 years ago need attention.  We need transformation.

I am such a visual person.  Visual impact can sometimes provide instant gratification.  Perhaps it's the effect of being a daughter of a hair stylist. :o)  In one day I painted the kitchen and felt a sense of accomplishment—in one week, the cabinets.  I like seeing the fruit of my labor.  

Our lives are full of transformation.  John and I were transformed into parents of two children.  I was transformed into a stay at home mom.  We transformed our ways of city life to this neighborhood that’s tucked away from shopping and convenience.  We transformed our diets and had visible payoff in weight loss. 

All this transformation though has got me thinking about transformation that we can’t see.  There has been transformation in my own heart and especially John's in the past year.  I’m starting to realize that it’s sometimes the transformation we can’t see, but feel that leaves the biggest and most impact. 

I’m humbled and grateful for the transformation that I can’t see.  Visual impact is important to me, but I know that God is pointing me to something even greater.  The more I read, learn, and absorb the more I transform.  I become softer and more compassionate.  That isn’t happening on my own, but by allowing something bigger than the visual sense around me to take root in my heart. 

Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.  Romans 12:2

How have you been transformed?

Thanks for reading.




No comments:

Post a Comment