Friday, December 6, 2013

Keep Going, Keep Going, Keep Going...

The land of YouTube.  It is vast.  You can learn how to install bamboo flooring (thanks, John!), make a Rainbow Loom bracelet, tie a tie, or be inspired by some pretty awesome people.  There’s many a morning in the Van Vorst house that I show a video to Sydney and Elliot.  I like to "feed" them with good stuff while they are eating breakfast.  I am using this post to link you to some of my recent favorites.  If you have a day that you need a pick-me-up you MUST view any one (or all) of these.  

1. A Tiny Poem by Kid President:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JhwaRYOgxo
This kid is beyond awesome!  His video messages are not only inspiring, but adorable.  He tells us things like "you can't be sad when you're holding a cupcake." And, "everthing is going to be ok." He gives us a lesson on 20 things we need to say more often.  If you don't watch the video, at least read the Tiny Poem.

“The world is so big and we’re all so small
sometimes it feels like we can’t do anything at all
but the world can be better
(in spite of its flaws)
the world can be better
and you’ll be the cause
and even though the waves are bigger than our boats…
the wind keeps us sailing
it’s love gives us hope.
Some days it’s dark,
but we’ll keep rowing
because people like you whisper
‘keep going, keep going, keep going.’”

2. Children and staff gather for an inspiring cover of "Roar" by Katy Perry at Children's Hospital at Dartmouth-Hitchcock: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnG3MKos87A

This is one of my favorite songs right now.  Who couldn't be inspired by kids in cancer treatment putting together something to make themselves (and the world) smile?  These kids are champions!!  I listen to this song while I run and I feel strong(er)!  This month marks my "anniversary" of making running part of my regular routine.  When I started a year ago I ran a mile in 12 minutes.  Now I am running a mile in under 9 minutes and I can run a full 5K without stopping to walk!  The more I run, the happier I am.  Not because it's easy or I am perfect.  I am FAR from it!  It's because with every mile I am proving to myself that I am capable of more than I ever thought possible. 

3. Sara Bareilles - Brave (Lyric Video): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwTr_CRw3GY

This is one Sydney asks for over and over.  Occasionally she tears up while she watches it. True story.  If you watch the video you will see young girls empowering each other and being good friends to one another.  Is there anything more inspiring to a young girl than watching other girls empower each other?

4.  Take a Seat - Make a Friend?: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfHV4-N2LxQ

What happens when two strangers sit in a ball pit and talk about life's big questions?  Watch and see.  SoulPancake TOTALLY has it goin' on!  I subscribe to this channel.  It's amazing.  

5.  The Script - Hall of Fame Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lpcWqecyak

I've heard this song a lot over the past year.  One night this week I was driving Elliot to indoor swim practice and this song came on.  I turned it up and told Elliot to listen.  His wheels were turning.  He's been looking up this video on his iPod constantly since that night. We talked about the meaning of the lyrics and he said "mommy that song makes me feel pumped up."  When we were in Ohio for Thanksgiving I heard 2 people ask him if he plays football (friends of friends that don't know us that well).  Elliot answered no and told them he has a cyst that keeps him from playing contact sports.  I was so proud of him for owning that and being brave about speaking about it.  He later told me "you know, I am OK with not playing football.  I mean I wish I could, but if I played football I probably wouldn't be swimming and I love swimming." Pass me a tissue...this kid is standing in the hall of fame.

So, as the song by The Script says “never gonna know if you never even try…” what will you try today?  Or, as Kid President asks, “what will you do to make the world more awesome?”  Be inspired.  Feed yourself with this good stuff because there is a lot of it.  I need it many days.  I’m grateful for the positive people in this world that put it out there, and make my world more awesome. 

Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment