Monday, August 15, 2011

Goodbye to the Old

Yesterday I saw something awesome.  I watched over 50 people go forward with spontaneous baptism during the first service at Lifepoint.  132 were baptized between two services!  You may be reading that statement and wondering what that means.  It means that Lifepoint had a handful of scheduled baptisms yesterday, but then Pastor Daniel called forward anyone that wanted to be baptized.  These weren’t little babies dressed in white gowns.  These were adults, young and old, that made a decision to say goodbye to the old and hello to the new.  Each of these individuals made a personal decision and then exercised it in a public way. 

As babies, or young children, the decision to be baptized is made by our parents or family members.  It’s a wonderfully meaningful tradition.  I have photos of both Elliot and Sydney at their baptisms in the Lutheran Church with John’s parents looking on.  But as an adult, a decision is made to follow what you believe in your heart out of your own free will.  Baptism then becomes a testimony; a way of identifying as a Christian. 

One of the people I watched is a teenager that babysits for us.  My heart leaped as I watched her.  What an awesome example she is to my kids.  Being a teenager is never easy, especially a teenager rooted in faith.  As adults our faith is judged by other adults; imagine what it’s like as a teenager.  As I watched this girl, who I love, show in a public way the direction she is choosing for her life, I cried tears of joy for her.  She is brave, honest, and is someone to look up to. 

I thought of a great song that sums up how I feel when I think of yesterday.  It’s called Control by JJ Heller.  I’m posting a link to the video, but here is a piece of the lyrics.
I'm letting go of the illusion
I'm letting go of the confusion
I can't carry it another step
I close my eyes and take a breath
I'm letting go, letting go

Part of faith to me is letting go.  Letting go of what I want, what I think I need, and what I think I need to be.  Letting go of the illusion and the confusion, as the song says.  We all try to hide parts of ourselves, but when we go forward in faith we get to let go of so much that drags us down.  The people I watched yesterday let go.  I’m sure today they feel freer and lighter. 

I’m filled with gratefulness.  Yesterday wrote on my heart in a deep and meaningful way, as I am sure it did with so many in that auditorium. 

And now why do you wait? Rise and be baptized and wash away your sins, calling on his name.  Acts 22:16

Thank you for reading.

1 comment: