Monday, August 8, 2011

The Plans I Have for You

Fun time with friends
As you know, I was born and raised (mostly) in Columbus, Ohio.  But, at the age of 15 my dad announced to our family that he had been chosen for a transfer to Louisville, Kentucky.  I felt devastated by this news.  My world, as I knew it, was about to be completely transformed.   We moved to Oldham County, specifically to a town called La Grange, which is about 25 miles west of Louisville.  Only 3 hours from Columbus was a different world. 

We visited La Grange in the early summer to see homes and visit the local schools.  I brought with me a big adolescent attitude problem.  My parents found a beautiful home for our family.  The high school offered new opportunities, yet I clung to my sulking.  I got to meet the athletic director who informed us that there wasn’t a field hockey team (I actually remember uttering under my breath, “I’m not surprised.”), but he said I could try out for the volleyball team.  In his office, he showed me a photo of his daughter who was my age.  I’m pretty sure I wasn’t impressed.  My parents encouraged me to look on the bright side…"see this as an opportunity to broaden your horizons,” they said.  I was content with the horizons I had, or so I thought.

Moving day arrived. No amount of pouting was getting me out of this situation.  I cried.  I begged.  I lost the fight…we loaded into the car.  I had no idea what would meet me later that day. 

We arrived at a hotel for the evening, as the moving truck wouldn’t arrive until the next morning.  Soon a knock came at the hotel door.  It was the athletic director and his daughter.  Deep in my selfish pity party I probably missed the phone call that invited these guests.  Lisa Peterson was sweet and southern.  She had pretty hair and wore lipstick.  She insisted on taking me to the county fair and wouldn’t take no for an answer. 

That night, at the fair, I remember watching the Miss Oldham County Pageant.  I remember eating traditional southern food.  I remember being lead around by Lisa for the evening in a whirlwind of “y’all this is Kristin, she just moved here.”  We weaved in and out of groups of people and event tents.  Questions, handshakes, and hugs from people I had never met.  By the end of the evening I had friends and had caught the eye of a soon-to-be senior boy.  At 15 that’s what you call a good night.

Sophomore English Class

At that time I had no idea how living in Kentucky would impact me.  For years after that I still didn’t understand.  Fear kept me from embracing the idea of a new place.  I had grown complacent in my life in Ohio.  There were bigger plans for me though.

It was through living in La Grange that I attended a little Methodist Church regularly.  I was involved in the youth group.  I didn’t just meet new friends…this was the place where I met God.  Our youth Pastor, Don, was awesome.  He was so encouraging and caring.  A foundation was built then that I still rely on to this day. 

There are all kinds of things that happen in our lives that we don’t understand, that we may never understand.  I am brought back time and time again to this verse. 

“For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.”  Jeremiah 29:11 (NIV)

God knew exactly what He was doing in my life and in my heart when He put me in Oldham County.  I prospered greatly by being placed there.  I cherish my memories of living there.  My Facebook friends list contains those friends that touched my life and helped change my heart. 

Where has He placed you to prosper your life?  What great plans are in your life?  Can you trust that it's for a bigger purpose, a greater plan?

As I was looking through old photos for this post, I came across a bookmark.  On the back it says "from Karen."  This is how it reads:

"This Day Is Mine"
Yesterday is beyond my reach.  I cannot, by wishing or ignoring alter a single moment.
Tomorrow is not yet within my grasp.  Only God knows what the future holds.  And He is trustworthy of my trust.
But today is mine.  And today, with God's help, I know I can succeed.

Thank you Karen, Lisa, Heather, Leanne, Sean, Melissa, Jill and so many others. 

Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment