Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Thoughts from the Treadmill?



I first heard this slogan, “you can’t out exercise a bad diet” from my healthy husband, John.  Now it rings in my head as I attempt to become a runner.  I’ve been running about 5 times a week now.  I am going to admit something about running.  I don’t like it.  It is such a struggle for me.  I make strange facial expressions while I run.  I sweat.  A lot.  My face turns red.  I listen to very loud music.  And, I think too much.

I have this incredibly annoying habit of over analyzing EVERYTHING.  My brain seriously over processes just about every thought that enters my mind.  A friend of mine calls this “introspective.”  Perhaps I think this way since my personality is much more extroverted.  I have no idea.  I’m sure I’ll think about it some more to come to a better conclusion.  What I do know is that my introspective thought patterns carry over while I am exercising.  I have asked other runners, “What do you think about when you run?”  Their response baffles me.  Do you know what it is?  It’s one word:  NOTHING.  I mean really!  How do you think of nothing?  When I am running I think about how much I don’t want to run.  I think of grocery lists and appointments I need to make.  I keep looking at the time and distance on the treadmill’s monitor.  The little red digital numbers blink at me as if they are taunting me.  I check my heart rate monitor more often than necessary.  Minutes have to last longer when I am moving at 6.5 mph—they have to. 

I watch other gym members as they run, seemingly effortlessly, at higher rates of speed.  Their backsides don’t move as much as mine does.  And, as I do this I begin to have a conversation with myself that tells me to just pay attention to what I am doing, stop comparing myself to other people, get through the next 30 minutes, and try to relax the muscles in my face so that I am not grimacing.  Sometimes I even pray—just small prayers.  I ask for the strength to get through; to finish what I started.  What I have just described is only part of my thoughts.  Ugh…why do I do this again?

I do this because I want to be healthy.  I run because I love to feel strong.  I run because when it’s over I feel like I accomplished something good.  I run because I don’t want to gain back the 50 pounds I lost 3 years ago.  I run because I want to be a good example for my kids.  I run because I want John to know how much he influences me with his own healthy actions.  And, I run out of fear.  I have a small growth on one of my lungs that is being monitored.  When I run and I am winded, I think about that growth and I think that getting fresh oxygen into my body is a good way to fight whatever it is that is there.

I also do this because as John told me years ago, “you can’t out exercise a bad diet.”  I still track what I eat by writing it down at least 3 days a week.  When I track what goes into my mouth it’s more good stuff and less junk.  The running is just a piece of my own healthy “pie.”  Yes, I had to say pie because I need to create that visual in my mind.  I’m creating my own pie of experience, strength and hope.  My experience portion of the pie is pretty large.  The experience part is made up of foods I eat, and want to eat but avoid, my own life story, and lots of smaller ingredients.  But, as I continue to get healthier (in mind and body), my strength and hope portions of the pie will become more equal parts.  I think that sounds pretty cool and much more balanced. 

As we celebrate the start of 2013 I hope to see the surge at the gym continue.  I hope to see excitement carry on past January.  I hope to learn how to turn off my mind a little more with each turn on the treadmill. 

Happy New Year!  Here’s to healthy 2013.

4 comments:

  1. Kristin, that was great and just what I needed to hear! I love your stories and you write them so well that it is so easy to relate! I started my own journey (again!) at the gym Nov 1, about a week after my 36 B-day! I was so sick of feeling tired and winded everytime I would walk more than one flight of stairs and feeling so uncomfortable bending down to tie my shoes! It's been a SLOW process but I am not giving up! I had a few struggles over the holidays and being sick didn't help much either! But I started back again this morning and could tell that I am much stronger than I was 2 months ago and not as winded! I hate running probably more than you do but I hope to build up to run as many 5K's as you this year! Keep up the amazing work! You really are an inspiration!! Have a wonderful 2013!!! take care, Sara Grundei

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sara,
      Thank you so much for your compliments on the blog. I wish you much luck in your 5K and your road to good health. It's tough as we get older that it for sure, but I've always liked a good challenge. :)

      Delete
  2. So funny, I had a very similar conversation with my husband just yesterday when I came back from a run. I find that my mind wanders when I run, and when that happens, I lose track of time and fatigue and can run much farther. If I think only about running (I can't go another minute; I am so out of breath; there is no way I can make it up this hill; I can only make it to this street corner and then I have to stop), then I feel miserable. But when my mind trails off--it could be anything from making a grocery list to thinking about a work project to recalling a conversation I had with a neighbor to even the simple act of looking for squirrels in anticipation of my dog pulling on the leash as soon as she sees them--I forget how tired I am and keep going. I love those distractions because they make me forget how miserable I am feeling. I imagine you have far fewer of these distractions at the gym, so your task is tougher because the thoughts that do come to your mind are not distractions but discouragements. I hope you find a way to tune them out. I was telling my husband that I think I should try books on tape and see if that helps me run longer. I will let you know how it goes. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the things you mentioned that distract you! I'm going to focus on those! There are plenty of distractions at the gym and I can always recall conversations or make a grocery list. ;o)

      Delete