Sunday, February 7, 2016

The Class

Teachers have to do a lot of work to earn and keep a teaching license.  I started my licensure class through the Virginia Department of Education this week.  The class meets on Tuesday evenings--farewell to Tuesday dinnertime, and every other Saturday--from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. until mid June.  Luckily the class meets in Fredericksburg at a local high school.  I don't have to travel far.  After just the first two meetings I feel inspired and also encouraged that I am making the right choice.  It's a little scary too.  What if I cannot find a job when all this is completed?  Will I miss too many moments at home?  How will the laundry get done?  Am I going to be a good teacher?  Thinking about being assessed as a student teacher makes me nervous; I don't enjoy evaluations.  These thoughts can snowball, so I am choosing to just take it one class session at a time. 

During class on Saturday we discussed relationships with students.  We discussed the importance teacher/student relationships play in education and connection.  The instructor showed us an amazing short video from an educator, Rita Pierson, that was in the field for more than 40 years.  I'd need to remain teaching into my 80's if I hope to reach that milestone...I'm not certain that I will want to achieve that.  Only time will tell I suppose.  Back to the one session at a time approach I guess.  : )

Hopefully, we have a teacher who touched us, believed in us, inspired us, didn't give up on us.  I was fortunate enough to have had teachers like Larry Larson for elementary PE, Clarke Haren for Jr. High geography, and Steve Froehlich for senior English.  These were teachers that truly inspired me.  I can remember now their unique aphorisms and the truths each contained.  They believed in me.  They knew my name, my interests, and generally cared about students.  I felt a connection to them.  It's teachers like Mr. Larson, Mr. Haren, Mr. Froehlich, and Mrs. Pierson that shape students and leave lasting impressions.  As I proceed with my class and enter the teaching field, as a licensed teacher, I can only hope to do what many before me have done.  

Here is a link to the video.  Even if you are not a teacher, take a look.  Perhaps you can see the world through the eyes of a teacher.  They are wondrous, devoted creatures. 


Thanks for reading. 

No comments:

Post a Comment