Tuesday, May 10, 2011

A Few of My Favorite Things

“Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.”
– Robert Brault, freelance American writer

I made a list last week of the small simple things in my life that bring me joy.  It was a sunny day, the forecast had been wrong.  The kitchen floor was freshly mopped and some of my favorite music was playing from the iPod docking station.  As I stood at the kitchen counter jotting down this list, I started humming that song from The Sound of Music, My Favorite Things.  Now, the list may or may not contain my favorite things, but it’s certainly an indication of what brings happiness or a small sense of peace to my life.

Here’s part of my list:
  • When the “shuffle” button on my iPod brings about songs that are just right for my mood
  • When the weather forecast is wrong for the better
  • The sound of Sydney playing with her toys in her room (I have to sneak up on her to hear this because she gets “embarrassed”)
  • The taste of Wegman’s chocolate cake (I will eat this every day in heaven…it will fall from the sky like mana)
  • Sitting in the sun reading
  • How the bed feels with clean sheets
  • The sound of the ocean
  • Receiving unexpected correspondence from someone I miss
  • The smell of John’s mom’s house 
  • The small smile that crosses Elliot’s face when he sees me at pick up from school

Simple pleasures, as some call them, are the free things in life that just lift us up.  They are all around us, all the time.  If I slow down to take notice, the list could go on and on.  I can always appreciate what’s around me, no matter where I am.  It’s in small appreciation that I feel filled up.  The key though is just to allow myself to see them, drink them in, and be filled up.  There is a constant hurl of things in my day that test me; attempt to tear up my list.  It’s a conscience choice to look for the good.

In the women’s group I am part of we were discussing just last night how to turn away from negative thinking.  Philippians 4:8 tells us this:  Finally, my friends, keep your minds on whatever is true, pure, right, holy, friendly, and proper. Don't ever stop thinking about what is truly worthwhile and worthy of praise.  

So, the next time you start “Stinkin’ Thinkin’” grab your P4-8 (as our facilitator referred to it) and get rid of that negative bug.  It can be like the WD-40 of the mind. J

What’s on your list?  Leave me a comment with some of your simple things.  Thanks for reading!

1 comment:

  1. What a good question. Here is what popped into my head:

    1. Singing out loud when nobody is listening.
    2. Sunshine when it's not hot.
    3. My boys' laughter, especially when they laugh when doing something together.
    4. A big hug from my husband.
    5. Fresh strawberries.
    6. A clean house (although achieving this is not so simple).

    Thanks for getting me thinking about this.

    ReplyDelete