Thursday, May 19, 2011

Hometown Buffet


Have you ever eaten at one of those big buffets?  I have and even though I am a pretty picky eater, I have to admit all those choices excite me.  The colors, flavors, textures, and tastes of so many different foods are wonderful.  They can appeal to anyone and the diner can be filled beyond expectation. 

If you attend a traditional Sunday service at a local church, Sunday mornings are like eating from the whole buffet; it is filling.  Sundays are great.  However, I see a small group like the lean protein that keeps me going through the week.  The connections I make and the things I learn about encourage me and guide me.  I enjoy focusing on feeding that part of my appetite that needs that lasting fuel. 

I read a study book on the wilderness experience of the Israelites.  This is new material to me.  I keep attempting to apply it to my own life, as the author suggests.  I have to say, it’s no coincidence that the neighborhood I live in is called Lake Wilderness. 

I lived many years in a wilderness.  I spent a lot of time questioning what I was doing where I was at.  I spent days on end asking God, “how did I get here and when do I get to get out?”  What I am beginning to understand though is this…this is a journey.  God sees potential in me that I often don’t see myself.  He’s guiding me through this wilderness to make me stronger.  He wants to instill in me the necessary tools to get through my journey.  It's only through the wilderness that I gain strength.  And, it’s a different wilderness for each of us. 

Romans 8:18 tells us “For I consider that the suffering of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory that is to be revealed to us.”  For me this means that even if we feel uneasy about our current situations in life, there is a reason and there is good to come.  The reason for our “wilderness” will be revealed; just maybe not in the time that we want it revealed to us. 

We go through different places, seasons of life if you will.  Sometimes we just have to camp out in those uneasy places and see what we can learn.  Easier said than done, I know.

We have to keep eating from the buffet too.  Eat, be fed, and learn what we can.  When we come across that lean protein, we’ll know it.  It will keep us fueled beyond anything we’ve known before. 

Thank you for reading.

3 comments:

  1. First of all I have to say that no one would ever guess that you are new to small groups. You will be leading one before you know it!! I love everything you have to say! Keep it up.

    Yay, I responded! I pass, haha. -Dru

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kristin, you made my heart soar! What you are experiencing is an answer to my prayers. Our desire is for Lifegroups to provide a safe environment where participants experience God through meaningful relationships and spiritual growth. My heart delights seeing you growing in a more intimate relationship with Jesus!

    When you study the Bible with an open heart to learn from Him, your life will be transformed! Then you can't help but be a godly influence in people's lives!

    Thank you for sharing your gift of writing with us. Always a joy reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete