Friday, May 13, 2011

Summers at the Lake

 
When I was 2 years old, my parents took my older sister and me to Lake Cumberland, KY on vacation.  It’s one of my favorite places on earth.  It’s located in the southern part of the state.  The shoreline measures over 1,200 miles; the main lake is over 100 miles long.  It is a site of deep, clear water, lush trees on the rocky shores, and lots of wildlife.  We fell in love with this beautiful place.  We vacationed there every summer thereafter.  My dad purchased a boat when I was young and we were a water-loving family.

The summer when I was 5 I learned to water ski.  I will never forget that day.  My dad had purchased a pair of red skis.  They were linked in the middle by small white ropes to keep the skis parallel while skiing.  My mom drove the boat and my dad was in the water with me.  There I was, in this massive lake, my strong dad by my side.  My life vest was bulky and those skis probably weighed more than me!  My dad had me hold this long rope with a handle at my end.  He told me, “no matter what, do not let go of this rope.”  He yelled to my mom to “GO!”  The boat took off with force…I gripped to the rope, scared to death.  My dad in his own skis and in his own bulky life vest was right behind me, gripping the same handle on the long rope.  It felt like gallons of water were in my face, and my dad was still yelling—over the sound of the gushing water and the boat’s engine, “don’t let go!”  Within seconds, I was UP (and then down)!!  What a lesson!

It took many summers and lots of practice, but eventually I became a decent skier.  The golden suntans on our skin may have faded by Labor Day each year, but the memories that I have of those summers on that lake are with me every day. 

I was recalling this to a friend the other day and suddenly it dawned on me.  Skiing is a lot like faith.  When I first learned to ski I was scared. I questioned my ability.  Even when I was able to get up on top of the water, I stayed right behind the boat.  I didn’t venture out past the boat’s wake.  I wanted to stay where it felt safe, where I felt guarded against anything that may be in the water. 

When I first became a Christian my beliefs were much like my novice skiing abilities.  I wanted to just stay where I was.  I didn’t want to place too much faith in things unseen.  I didn’t really want to “let go and let God.”  Where I was at was safe, non-threatening, not a challenge.  I didn't really trust God.

As my own seasons of life pass though, I’ve grown.  That “safe” place I was at isn’t enough for me anymore.  My grandma describes me as a seeker.  I think she’s right.  For it’s in my seeking that my appetite for something more was fueled.  I am looking at myself now as a skier who is ready to slalom ski WAY outside the wake (for anyone who is not a skier, this means skiing on one ski).  I’m ready to venture out and be vulnerable.  I trust that God will look after me, show me the way.  Protect me, teach me, guide me. 

I read this scripture this morning, which further encouraged me to write this vulnerable post because let's face it, I'm sorta scared to share this stuff.  It’s from Jeremiah 17:7 and it says, “Blessed is the person who trusts the LORD. The LORD will be his confidence.”  (God’s Word Translation, 1995)

So, perhaps that’s where I’m at.  I’m a girl who’s willing to take some risks because I’ll reap the benefits and have confidence from Him.

I’d still like another chance on that gorgeous lake though.  And, some time with my dad beside me there. I miss those summers on that boat.  The sound of classic rock on the boat’s radio, greasy fingers from too many potato chips, windblown hair, seeing my mom’s sunburned nose.  I love those memories…what a blessing.

Thank you for reading.

Brave enough to wave and ski!

4 comments:

  1. I loved this! It reminded me of my first water skiing experience. Although, you had your Dad to help you; I was with older teenagers trying to teach me. It was not pleasant. I did get up out of the water once, briefly. Thanks for the memories. Your writing always brings a smile to my face!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The best vacation times I've - the family - ever had! Walley World or Bust! Thanks for the memories!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tears in my eyes and a smile on my face all at the same time. What memories and what faith! Love you! Barb

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mad dog! ;)

    I finally got up on skis for the first time at Cumberland too, although it was years later.

    The last time we were all there was when you were pregnant with Elliot, crazy!

    ReplyDelete