Tuesday, June 14, 2011

For the Love of Summer

Even if you haven’t read much of the Bible I’m certain you are familiar with Ecclesiastes 3:1 which tells us, for everything there is a season, a time for every activity under heaven.  I love this verse.  I like to read it during trying times because it gives me comfort.  But, I also like to refer to it in a very literal since.  My favorite season is upon us…SUMMER!  I LOVE SUMMER!  I’m so thankful for the change of seasons.  I love practically everything about summer.  I love the long days, fireflies, the smell of sunscreen on my kids’ skin, cookouts, wearing flip flops, summer reading lists, lightened schedules, warm breezes, and I LOVE to be at the pool. 

Our community has one of the most beautiful pools.  It is situated on top of a hill, overlooking a lake.  The lake is surrounded by big, old trees.  Sitting poolside gives me the most awesome view of the lake and those trees.  The sounds I hear there are of people laughing and splashing and the breeze blowing through all the tall trees.  It is so serene. 

Both the kids are part fish and love to swim.  Few things compare to the look of complete bliss on their faces as they take a running start, jump into the air, and form their bodies into balls and yell “CANNONBALL” before they hit the water.  The warm sun shines down and the whole world just seems to melt away.  

I love when they get out of the pool, sometimes shivering, and I get to wrap them up in a sun-heated towel.  They snuggle up their dripping bodies next to me on my lounge chair.  Their only needs are a hug and a snack.  

Summer gives us extra time to have fun.  We all get to spend more time outside and with special friends.  This season recharges me and grows great memories. 

Before I know it there will be back to school ads and Halloween costumes in Target (blah!), but for the next 10 weeks I will relish the sun, the afternoon thunderstorms, Popsicles, outdoor swim team practices, evenings around a fire pit, our very special vacation to Florida, and all things summer!

I hope whatever your summer plans are you have fun!

Thanks for reading.


3 comments:

  1. Summer is kind of bittersweet for me, especially now that both boys go to schools that release for the summer. I feel my kids' excitement about their summer break, but it also really pulls on my heart strings that I can't be with them to truly enjoy summer. I know I have it better than most working moms out there (because of the flexibility of my job), but summers in particular make me sad about being a working parent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this. It brings fun memories to mind.I can't wait to be there with you all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this!! Lots of memories about summer for me too. Although, I do love the A/C more than ever.

    Your blog always makes me smile. Enjoyed the candid photos, your kids are so cute. Think I will purchase some popsicles today!!

    ReplyDelete