Friday, June 24, 2011

She Met a Princess

We just returned from a vacation to Florida.  We traveled to Orlando to visit my younger sister.  While we were there we spent a day, just the four of us, at the Magic Kingdom.  I haven’t been to Disney since I was a young girl; John had never been.  We swallowed our pride and paid the hefty entry fee and let me tell you how glad I am that we did.  The day we spent at the “happiest place on Earth” will be imprinted on my heart forever.  Maybe it was because my kids are the perfect ages to take it all in, maybe it was the sunshine, the parade, the music, the rides…I’m not sure, but I know there was something magical about it.  I could write many posts about that day, but for now what really stands out is Sydney meeting the princesses. 

When we arrived at the park in the morning, I saw her big brown eyes fill up with tears the first time she saw The Castle.  She grabbed my arm and in a small voice said, “We finally made it mommy!  Look at the castle!”  It was adorable and my heart melted right then and there. 

Sydney has a nervous laugh that she lets out when she get really excited about something.  The 15 minutes we waited in line to meet Sleeping Beauty and Cinderella I heard that laugh.  She grinned from ear to ear and squeezed my hand.  When it was her turn, Cinderella walked over and took her by the hand to a velvet bench.  They sat down together and talked.  I couldn’t hear what they said, but I could tell from body language it was about her hair bow and her eye shadow (yes, I’m talking about Cinderella noticing how Syd was dressed!).  They shared a hug and took a few pictures.   


Then, Sleeping Beauty came over and took Syd to another velvet couch.  I could hear their conversation.  Sleeping Beauty quickly noticed Syd’s mismatched flip flops and paid her a compliment on her style.  She asked Syd if she thought Prince Charming would like it if she wore a dancing shoe on one foot and a ballet slipper on the other.  Syd beamed and giggled.  


I felt full with happiness as I watched my daughter look at the princesses.  I know she didn’t see them as women dressed in costumes.  She really thought they were the REAL DEAL.  Her imagination leads to awesome things.  She often tells me that she wants to be a mermaid when she grows up and she's growing her hair as long as Rapunzel's.  Who could argue with that?

There are probably people who would criticize me and say I should correct her; tell her those aren’t real princesses, or that there are no such thing as mermaids.  But, the look on her face, the excitement in her voice after that encounter…it goes unmatched. 

I couldn’t be more thankful that we were able to take them to the place “Where Dreams Come True” because for me, that day, dreams did come true.  I’ve dreamed of sharing special moments with my children.  My expectations were exceeded beyond my wildest dreams!

What I take away from that day, that moment, is the feeling of innocence.  My kids are overflowing with innocence and excitement.  Their eyes are completely open with wonder; their hearts are wide open.  They love things fiercely.  They experience emotion deeply.  They are wonder-filled many days, almost every day.  It’s my mood, the mood of others, and the world that bring them down.  

If I allow my children to be my guide there could be many more days that are just as exciting as that day at Disney.  God hopes for me that I approach life like they do; just looking for what I can learn, experience, have fun with, and be excited about.  Childlike faith trusts. Childlike faith knows no bounds. Childlike faith listens to what is said, and believes it. I aspire to have childlike faith. 

I promise you that you cannot get into God's kingdom, unless you accept it the way a child does. Mark 10:15 (CEV)


3 comments:

  1. I felt as though I was there with you, experiencing Syd's first time at Disney. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh-h-h-h, I want to go to Disney! Sounds like you all had a great time. Thanks for sharing. When we were stationed in Belgium years ago, we visited EuroDisney and it was great. Our children were in Jr. High School and we had a blast. We had an opportunity to visit Disney World in Orlando when our daughter competed in Jr. Olympics at 17 years old, they did not want to go to Disney World. My husband and I wanted to though. Oh well!

    There is nothing like seeing life through the eyes of a child. Precious. Loved your thoughts! I too aspire to have childlike faith. Thanks again for the smile while reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank goodness you are the kind of mother that notices and recognizes what your children are feeling. We all miss seeing that "eye of a child" moment everyday. Thanks for reminding me how special it can be. I wish I could have been there with you, but thanks to your beautiful writing, I can share the experience.You are very fortunate. I didn't get to go to Disney with you.

    ReplyDelete