Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Too Much Over Focus

Negative thinking.  Just those two words are ones that I am all too familiar with.  Negative thinking is something I really struggle with.  I’ve been guilty at times of allowing one negative thought to seep in and steel my focus and energy.  It may be a negative thought I have about myself, or it may be a negative feeling I have about a situation.  In either case, it leaves me feeling drained.

I read a daily devotional by Rick Warren…you know him, he wrote The Purpose Driven Life.  In the reading for July 13 he talked about “The Battle of the Mind.”  Simply stated he said “if you are thinking depressed thoughts, you will feel depressed.  If you want to get out of that depression then simply ask God to give you better thoughts.”  This sounded too good to be true.  However, I know that a positive mindset isn’t something I am able to do on my own, so why not try this approach?

I have to say, I’ve been testing it, and I have experienced a lighter heart.  Some could argue that it’s because I’m focusing on it more.  I’ve also read that when we focus on the positive, we feel more positive.  I’m not giving myself that much credit.  My negative thinking was learned and sometimes encouraged growing up.  Have you ever acted as a “Debbie Downer” only to be joined by others?  Then you get to wallow in the thoughts with company.  However comforting that can be, it’s not a good habit to get into.  So, for me, I admit; it’s going to take something bigger than my own mindset to break that cycle. 

I’m not suggesting that I will always be sunshiney and cheery.  I’m human.  My struggle is becoming over focused on the negative.  Much like the way a magnifying glass can be used to pinpoint the sun’s energy.  Focus that heat long enough and leaves and grass (or a small ant) can burn up.  I don’t want to burn up. 

I’ll take tactics rooted in something more than myself.  It’s important to do that because in the grand scheme my little mess is so outweighed by how big I’m blessed (thanks to Francesca Battistelli for her song on that!). 

So, I continue to ask for positive thoughts.  I ask for strength to diffuse that heat when it does come in.  A sense of peace in my life comes from something greater than negative thought, something much greater than myself. 

Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.  John 14:27 (NLT)

Thanks for reading

1 comment:

  1. I am the type of prayer that is Thankful, I don't ask for things, but am constantly Thanking God for little things throughout my day...every day. I thank Him every day for my Husband, Kids, Family and Friends. I was sitting in Church last Sunday thinking about my friends and how well we all get along. There is no back stabbing, no negative things said behind each other backs. I was thinking, WOW! I wonder how many other large groups of true friends can say that? Then I looked around and noticed that 90% of them were in Church with me that day...and Thanked God for that as well. I think being in God's way only lets me see the great in everyone which in turn allows them to see the great in me. Krisin, you have made my life better just by being in it~Thank you!

    ReplyDelete